Monday, March 18, 2013

Goodbye old shoes

Finally feeling good enough to run and what happens? Snow. Snow, snow, snow. Four to seven inches by morning. I had to settle for three slow miles on the treadmill.

Today I threw out some old friends. These Avias were my first pair of running shoes. I ran my first 5K in them. But I can only have so many pairs of old, worn out, running shoes lying around, so in the trash they went. As you can see, I’m a heel striker. I always wear my heels out first. I would like to be a forefoot runner, but it’s just not how I’m built.

My next race is on the 24th which is this Sunday. It’s a 15K and fairly flat until the last mile and half which is uphill. I hope it’s at least in the 40s and all the snow is gone by then. I really am sick of the cold and snow. It's March. Where is spring?

And speaking of sick, my problem was severe eye strain which was causing migraine headaches and weird flu-like symptoms. I sit in front of a computer all day at work. I want to get my work done so I sit and work, and work and work. The cure is to take a break every 20 minutes, get away from the computer at the first sign of a headache and reduce stress. Only a slight headache at the end of the day so I guess it's working.

Stats:
3.0 miles,  29:14 minutes, 9:45 pace

No comments:

Post a Comment