Friday, May 3, 2013

Just keep running

Just got back from a short 3.42 mile run. I still smile at the thought of anything under four miles seeming short. I wasn’t going to run today, but it’s beautiful outside and I couldn’t resist. I won’t be running tomorrow because tomorrow is rest day. I need to be well rested for Sunday's big race.

Last year at this time I was getting ready for my first 5K race. I had been running since February and I was ready. At the race, I watched the half marathoners come down the hill and cross the finish line (the HM starts at 7:30 and the 5K at 10:00). Some were running as hard as they could and some were just running. I wondered if I would ever be able to run that distance. Well, here I am all ready to run my first half marathon. I like the fact that I’ll be crossing the same finish line and that there will be 5Kers watching me come down that hill, wondering if they will ever be able to complete 13.1 miles. I’d like to tell them that they will indeed. Just keep running.

A year ago, I ran at a pace of around 10:10. Today’s little jog was done at a pace of 8:48. I wasn’t running hard, except for this one short, flat stretch, and had to tackle a few small hills.

I’ve improved a lot in a year. Go me!

No comments:

Post a Comment